Monday, September 29, 2008

At the Potter's House

Sunday's sermon at church was exceptionally good & I'd like to share a bit about what I got out of it. The passage that spoke most directly to me is from Jeremiah 18:1-6.
The background: Jeremiah was called by God to be a prophet at a young age. A prophet is not necessarily a calling most people want. It often requires one to be the bearer of bad news. God had something he wanted to teach Jeremiah so He sent him to a potter's house for his field-trip lesson.
The text: "This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: "Go down to the potter's house, and there I will give you my message." So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it AS SEEMED BEST TO HIM. Then the word of the Lord came to me, "O house of Isarel, can I not do with you as this potter does?" declares the Lord. "Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel".
My thoughts: While there was a ton that I gleaned from this sermon, what spoke to me the most is what I emphasied above. God created me as He thought best. That means I'm who I'm supposed to be- faults & all, strengths & weaknesses, likes & dislikes. So many times I get caught up in my world of perfectionism that I get bogged down with the impossibility of "measuring up" or ever "being good enough." Our world has created a fascad of what a beautiful woman should look like & how a lovely woman should act. What I find comfort in, however, is that I am nothing without Christ & that I'm exactly who I should be in Him!

1 comment:

Jen said...

...and you are a beautiful person already - inside and out!! i am lucky to call you a friend. :)