Monday, December 14, 2009

The Nasty 23rd


Riley participated in his 3rd marathon on Saturday in Huntsville, Alabama. His first goal in finishing this race was to qualitfy for Boston this Spring, and his second goal was to break three hours (or Keving Toth's time of 2:59 something). While he achieved his first goal and even pr'd by 4 minutes, he wasn't able to pull off his under-3 goal. I was able to watch Riley at the start, mile 11, mile 19, and then at the finish line. He looked strong the entire time until the end. At mile 23 his legs were cramping too badly to hold his super-fast pace of >6:45 min miles. It amazes me every time I watch Riley race because he's one of the few people I know who are fast enough to start in the front of the pack, and he's one of the most stubborn people I know, which holds him in lead. I knew he would finish, but I'm proud of him for gutting out the last three miles even when his body was burning and he knew he wouldn't reach his goal.
Race Stats: 63rd place overall (maybe out of 1500 or 2000), 11th place in age group, time of 3:05:43.
Riley (in bottom left corner)starting the race

Mile 11

Coming around the bend to mile 19

Almost to the finish line


A slightly disappointed done







Link

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Way to go Riley!!!