Monday, March 21, 2011

Lots of Spring!




Lots of Spring in the air and we're loving it! We've had warm, even hot, sunny days already. The flowers and trees are in full bloom, the windows are open, and we're spending lots of time outside. And the spring cleaning bug has arrived too. Last week while at Tara's she taught me how to make homemade laundry detergent and an all purpose cleaner. And she sent me home with the links to make homemade deodorant. All 3 recipes (laundry detergent, all-purpose cleaner, & deodorant) I tried and love. So, of course, I'm going to pass along because they're safe, inexpensive & they work fabulously!

All purpose cleaner :
1 C water
1 C distilled white vinegar
can add a little dish soap if you want
Put in spray bottle and clean! For soap scum sprinkle baking soda first then spray on top. Works way better then scrubbing bubbles & magic eraser...plus there are no toxins!

& laundry detergent:
1 C borax
1 C washing soda
1 bar of bath soap, grated ( I went with Tara's suggestion & used Dr Bronner's lavender soap from Target)
Grate the soap and then mix ingredients together in tupperware. Use 1-2 TBSP per load of laundry.

Deodorant:
1/4 C baking soda
1/4 C cornstarch
4-6 TBSP coconut oil (in soft solid form, not liquid)
Mix baking soda and cornstarch together. Using 1 Tbsp at a time mix in coconut oil until all ingredients are mixed well. I ended up using only 4 tbsp of coconut oil. I stuffed everything into an old deodorant dispenser and I store mine in the fridge since it's warm out and the coconut oil will get too soft sitting out.



Link

4 comments:

Tara Leap said...

Yay, I never thought to blog about it before. Did the deodorant stand up to the test?

Tara

Tara Leap said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yes! It's fantastic. I truly love it. The only downside is traveling with it or taking it in the heat b/c coconut oil will melt. I store it in my fridge, but I'll def need a Tom's crystal deodorant for travel!

Keri said...

I am so excited to try these recipes! Great timing since I am almost out of detergent! Thank you for posting this michelle!