Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Other Side of Crazy

We stand out
The commissary workers know my four children by name (they especially dote on Solomon). They pat their heads, pinch their cheeks, & hand out cookies on the sly. The lab technicians at our hospital also know my children by name & ask when we'll be back.  The childcare workers at Grace Community Church announce, "Here come our boys!" when the see Sol & Isaac running wildly down the hall with backpack in tow. We stand out. Some people admire us. Some people think we're straight-up crazy.

It doesn't bother me when people infer I'm crazy because I feel crazy! It often feels inconvenient taking care of four children & I often think we have no business committing to take care of two more toddler boys - but we will. And I can't wait! That's what crazy is about. Isn't it crazy to believe "Whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it" (Matthew 16:25).

I was having a texting conversation with my friend L the other day. She is my age with biological kids, special needs adoptive kids, is pregnant & plans on adopting more. She is a military wife who is currently enduring another deployment. We were texting how crazy is "good!" AND how we have both come to believe that it is "crazy" not to do something about the orphan crisis. She said, "In my twisted little mind, we are the normal ones." I couldn't have said it better myself.

Wanna join us on the other side of crazy?
Straight-up crazy
The principle runs through all life from top to bottom. Give up your self,
and you will find your real self. Lose your life and you will save it. Submit to death, death of your ambitions and favourite wishes every day and death of your whole body in the end: submit with every fibre of your being, and you will find eternal life. Keep back nothing. Nothing that you have not given away will ever be really yours. Nothing in you that has not died will ever be raised from the dead. Look for yourself, and you will find in the long run only hatred, loneliness, despair, rage, ruin, and decay. But look for Christ and you will find Him, and with Him everything else thrown in.” 
C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity


Link

1 comment:

JennaBeth77 said...

I do hope we will join you some day... :)